The Historic Elbe Church
Lettered on the steeple of the Elbe Lutheran Church is "Ev. Luth. KIRCHE" (Evangelische Lutherische Kirche), a reminder of the founders' German origins.
This tiny (18-by-24 foot) church sits on its original location in the foothills west of Mount Rainier. The town of Elbe, Washington, has a rich German heritage
Beginning in 1893, worshipers met in homes and the town hall until the church was constructed in 1906. Pastor Kilian served his Elbe flock from 1906 to 1933. Dr. Ervin E. Krebs conducted the research that led to the church's placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.